At The International School of Minnesota (ISM) we welcome international students from around the world to study at our school. As a proud member of the SABIS® School Network, we have the support of a global network of schools and 132 years of experience behind us. Since 1985, ISM has been committed to providing the highest quality education to all our students to help them reach their full potential and become compassionate world citizens prepared to compete in a global economy. Our campus represents over 45 nationalities and we welcome new international students to apply year-around.
ISM is authorized by The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to enroll international students who have an F-1 U.S. student visa. Contact us to find out more about becoming an international student.
Nestled in a beautiful, wooded area in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, our 55-acre campus provides a safe home-away-from-home where students can grow and learn. There’s a special sense of belonging at ISM that you can feel as soon as you arrive.
International students may live in our on-campus boarding hall, with a local host family, or with friends/family members in Minnesota. All international inquiries must contact the admissions department before beginning the application process.
- Rolling admissions
- Non-selective admissions policy
- English Language Learner (ELL) program
- Form I-20 upon school acceptance
- We accept international F-1 transfer students (currently studying at another U.S. school)
- Term stays available (approximately 3 months)
- ISM international student application
- $150 application fee
- Previous official transcripts, translated into English
- Recommendation letter
- International student questionnaire
- Copy of passport ID page
- Proof of finances, dated within 3 months
- TOEFL score may be required (see #4 below)
- Boarding Questionnaire (filled out by the student)
Forms and steps to apply:
- Submit an online Enrollment Application (if online, its best to use Google Chrome or Firefox browser) or you may also use this downloadable application form here.
The $150.00 application fee may be paid online with a credit card, a check can be mailed into ISM, or with a cash payment.
- Submit the provided Records Release form to your current school authorizing it to send transcripts to ISM. This may or may not be required depending on the school.
ISM requires two years of transcripts previous to the year applied for. If applying for 10th grade and above, all high school records must be sent into ISM. Please return all necessary transcripts to ensure receiving full credit for classes completed/passed.
The official transcript must be translated into English by the current school or a translation company.
- Upper School applicants (Grades 6-12) may use this Upper School recommendation form, which must be completed by official(s) from the student’s current school and mailed or emailed to ISM. Lower school applicants (Grades 1-5) may use this Lower School recommendation form. The student must also submit a completed International Student Questionnaire in English stating goals, expectations, and international experiences (Grades 7-12 only). For all boarding students, we required them to fill out this questionnaire.
- English language requirements are listed below.
- For applicants through 8th grade, the applicant will need to show transcript proof of foundational English language skills/classes.
- For 9th grade applicants, they will need to have a letter of recommendation from an English teacher and show proof of previous English classes (official transcript). Conditional acceptance may be issued, with final grade level determined after arrival and diagnostic tests.
- 10th, 11th and 12th grade applicants will need to show a recent TOEFL iBT test scores with a mimumum score of 65 for admission, along with a letter of recommendation from an English teacher and proof of previous English classes (official transcript).
The ISM Admissions office will schedule an interview via Skype. This half-hour conversation allows ISM to get to know the student and assess English language skills.
When we have received the necessary forms and fee, the Admissions Office will meet with the Academic Quality Controller to determine the acceptance status of the student(s).
After acceptance to The International School of Minnesota:
Upon acceptance of a new student who is not a U.S. Citizen, we will generate the I-20 document you will need to apply for an F-1 Student Visa. The U.S. Government also requires the completion of Form I-901, for which it charges a $200.00 fee. Instructions for paying the SEVIS fee will be given with the acceptance materials.
Upon being granted a United States F-1 Student Visa an official enrollment contract will be returned to ISM. A non-refundable $750 registration deposit is required at this time. It will be applied to your account, but forfeited if not actually enrolled. A boarding contract will also be sent if the student wishes to stay in the boarding hall. A refundable $500 security desposit is also required with the boarding contract.
All school forms must be returned to the school at least 1 week prior to beginning classes -these are sent with acceptance materials or available on our website.
Upon arrival to ISM, diagnostic placement tests in both English and math will be administered for the appropriate class placements.