International Admissions Process
At The International School of Minnesota (ISM) we welcome international students from around the world to study at our school. As a proud member of the SABIS® School Network, we have the support of a global network of schools and 131 years of experience behind us. Since 1985, ISM has been committed to providing the highest quality education to all our students to help them reach their full potential and become compassionate world citizens prepared to compete in a global economy. Our campus represents over 45 nationalities and we welcome new international students to apply year-around.
ISM is authorized by The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to enroll international students who have an F-1 U.S. student visa. Contact us to find out more about becoming an international student.
Nestled in a beautiful, wooded area in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, our 55-acre campus provides a safe home-away-from-home where students can grow and learn. There’s a special sense of belonging at ISM that you can feel as soon as you arrive.
- Rolling admissions
- Non-selective admissions policy
- English Language Learner (ELL) program
- Form I-20 upon school acceptance
- Housing options include boarding hall, American host family, or with a local guardian (typically a family friend or member of extended family)
- New for 2016-2017, TOEFL preparatory course available during school week
- We accept international transfer students (currently studying at another U.S. school)
- Term stays available
- School international application
- $150 application fee
- Previous official transcripts, translated into English
- Recommendation letter
- International student questionnaire
- Copy of passport ID page
- Proof of finances, dated within 3 months
Steps to apply:
- Submit an Enrollment Application (if online, its best to use Google Chrome or Firefox browser) and $150.00 application fee.
- Submit the provided Records Release form to your current school authorizing it to send transcripts to ISM. ISM requires two years of transcripts previous to the year applied for as well as all high school records if applying for 10th grade and above. Please return all necessary transcripts to ensure receiving full credit for classes completed/passed.
- Recommendation Forms are included which must be completed by officials from the student’s current school and mailed or emailed to ISM. The student must also submit a completed Student Questionnaire in English stating goals, expectations, and international experiences.
- English language requirements for applicants through 8th grade, will need to show proof of foundational English language skills. For 9th and 10th grade applicants, they will need to have a letter of recommendation from an English teacher and show proof of previous English classes (official transcript). Conditional acceptance may be issued, with final grade level determined after arrival and diagnostic tests. 11th and 12th grade applicants will need to show a recent TOEFL iBT test scores with a mimumum score of 65 for admission.
- The ISM Admissions office will schedule an interview via Skype. This half-hour conversation allows ISM to get to know the student and assess English language skills.
- When we have received the necessary forms and fee, the Admissions Office will meet with the Academic Quality Controller to determine the acceptance status of the student(s).
After acceptance to The International School of Minnesota:
- Upon acceptance of a new student who is not a U.S. Citizen, we will generate the I-20 document you will need to apply for an F-1 Student Visa. The U.S. Government also requires the completion of Form I-901, for which it charges a $200.00 fee. This form will be generated by the Admissions Office or the applicant may do it.
- Upon being granted a United States F-1 Student Visa, an official enrollment contract will be sent to complete and return to ISM. A non-refundable $750 registration deposit is required at this time. It will be applied to your account, but forfeited if not actually enrolled. A boarding contract will also be sent if the student wishes to stay in the boarding hall. A refundable $500 security desposit is also required with the boarding contract.
- Upon arrival to ISM, diagnostic placement tests in both English and math will be administered for the appropriate class placements.
If you would like information about host family options in Minnesota, follow this link to learn about our partner, Educatius International.