The International School of Minnesota attracts a diverse group of students. We are proud of our 'internationalism' and 'global focus' and strive to build a truly international student body. ISM has an application process that reviews applicants on a rolling basis, this allows for students to apply at any time through an academic year.
The International School of Minnesota is authorized by The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to enroll international students who have an F-1 U.S. student visa.
Steps to Apply:
- Admissions Application: Submit an online application for admission, and pay the $150 application fee. Click HERE to start the application.
- Records Request: Submit the provided Records Release form to your current school authorizing it to send transcripts to ISM. ISM requires two years of transcripts previous to the year applied for as well as all high school records if applying for 11th or 12th grade. Please send all necessary transcripts to ensure receiving full credit for classes completed/passed. Transcripts need to be translated into English prior to admissions review.
- Recommendations: Recommendation forms must be completed by an official at the student’s current school and mailed or emailed directly to ISM. Recommendations can also be submitted electronically through our enrollment portal, Blackbaud.
- Admissions Interview: The international admissions recruiter will work with you to arrange a Skype interview. This is half hour conversation to both learn more about you and to assess your English language Skills.
- Diagnostic Assessments: ISM will work with you to arrange remote diagnostic testing to evaluate your English and math skills.
- Proof of English Proficiency: Students in 11th and 12th grade will need to demonstrate advanced English coursework or provide a TOEFL score.
- Proof of Funds: ISM wants to ensure families have the financial means to support their child’s education at ISM and living expenses in the US. You will need to submit proof of finances dated within three months.
- Passport: You will need to submit a copy of your foreign passport IT. This is needed to assist you in the student visa request process.
- I-20: Upon acceptance, ISM will generate the I-20 documentation you will need to apply for an F-1 Student Visa. The US government also requires the completion of form I-901, for which it charges a $350 fee. The admissions office will generate this form, or the applicant may complete it on their own.
- F1- Student Visa: ISM will mail you an official letter of acceptance and your I-20. Upon receipt of the I-20, you will need to move forward with the Visa request. Please notify the school of your visa acceptance.
Enrollment Contract: Upon being granted a United States F-1 Student Visa, an official enrollment contract will be issued to the student. The student’s legal guardian must review, sign, and return the contract to ISM along with a non-refundable registration deposit of $750. If a student expresses a desire for residence hall boarding, those fees will also be included in the contract and an additional deposit of $2000 is also required.
For Step by Step Instructions, Click HERE.