ISM Alumnus receives George Washington University's Outstanding Senior Award
On May 1st, ISM Alumnus, Andrew Carlander, received the George Washington University School of Business (GWSB) 2017-2018 Outstanding Senior Award.
Andrew attended ISM since preschool and graduated in 2014. During his time at ISM, he served as Head Prefect for the Student Life Organization® and Captain of the Boys' Varsity Soccer team. He thinks about his time at ISM often. He states:
"I'm so grateful for the incredibly supportive network of ISM staff, faculty, alumni, and families that have paved the way for students to be immeasurably successful in both their personal and academic pursuits. I would not be who I am today if it weren't for ISM."
One recipient is selected from each graduating year on an annual basis. Outstanding candidates demonstrate most or all of the following:
Organization and Programs Involvement:
- Student Leadership and involvement in GWSB organizations and programming initiatives.
- Has had a positive impact on the organization or programs they were involved with; the student added value to the group.
- Utilization of F. David Fowler Career Center resources.
- Participation in career-focused events such as events hosted by the Career Center or the NY Networking Trek.
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Contribution to the classroom environment through academic class participation.
- Academic exploration outside the classroom through independent research or study abroad experience.
- Supports the local community by planning or participating in service initiatives.
- Leverages the advantages and opportunities of GW’s DC location.
The reason Andrew received the award is directly attributable to his work as president of the GWSB Undergraduate Business Association over the course of this past academic year. On top of that, the award was also given to him through the culmination of various involvements and contributions to the GWSB community over the years, including:
- student mentor and teaching assistant for First Year Development Program (FYDP), a required course for all GWSB freshman students that emphasizes the importance of professional development and ethics in the business world
- program coordinator for the esteemed GWSB F. David Fowler Career Center
- president of Alpha Kappa Psi, the world's oldest and largest co-ed professional business fraternity
Andrew will graduate with a Bachelor of Business Administration with a concentration in finance. After graduation, Andrew will be moving to Singapore and will work full-time as a Project Executive for the projects/development department for SC Global Developments, an ultra-luxury residential real estate development and property management firm.